Whether you are a leader, manager, team leader, or individual contributor, you likely have experienced difficult or challenging situations such as:
- Unresolved conflict
- Repeated or unaddressed under performance
- Negative attitudes or behaviors
- Difficulty with change
Left unresolved, these situations can disrupt relationships, undermine team culture, and impact business results. When it comes to effectively addressing these situations, one pivotal skill stands out above all the rest: the ability to foster direct, constructive dialogue—especially when engaging others about difficult, non-routine, or complex issues.
The Courageous Conversations digital, on-demand course is a thorough, skill-based approach to engaging in candid conversations with others in a variety of situations. These situations come in all shapes and sizes and typically involve people with different goals, opinions, emotions, and interests, and occur in varying types of work relationships including
- Leader to team member
- Peer to peer
- Team member to leader
- With vendors, suppliers, or partners
Approximate Time to Complete: 2 hours
Courageous Conversations is appropriate for formal and informal leaders at all levels who want to strengthen their ability to engage in challenging or uncomfortable conversations. This course is also appropriate for individual contributors who want to develop their leadership competencies and who are committed to strengthening their interpersonal communication skills.
This Courageous Conversations program and process is based on some of the most rigorous social-science research ever conducted that explored why it is that we—as bright, articulate, and caring human beings—have such difficulty effectively engaging in conversations about important or sensitive issues.
Mastering the Courageous Conversations process introduced in this course will not necessarily make difficult conversations more comfortable, but it will make them more effective. The Courageous Conversations process will help you stay focused on the issue or topic rather than on the person, personality, or other distractions. It will teach you how to be direct, honest, and open, but not overbearing.
The course includes practical learning activities, case studies, examples, and other opportunities to reflect on relevant, current situations that may require you to have a courageous conversation. The learning objectives and outcomes for this course include the following:
- Learn how to apply the courageous conversation framework in challenging situations and produce positive outcomes.
- Discover strategies for keeping people focused on the relevant issues when dealing with tough problems.
- Explore how to recognize a courageous-conversation moment or opportunity and successfully act on it.
- Reflect on and identify your natural strengths with courageous conversations and areas for development and growth.
- Learn how to create conditions that will enable people to act with high levels of candor, respect, and responsibility as you engage in difficult, complex issues.
- Create plans for applying what you learn.
When you apply the proven and practical process you will learn in this course, you will be better positioned to effectively work through challenging interactions with others.
Resources and Downloadable Tools Included
- Participant Resource Guide
- Courageous Conversations Case Study
- Courageous Conversations Planning Guide
- Application Guide
- Learning Plan
- Certificate of Course Completion* to save and share on social media
*A continuing education unit (CEU) is a measure used in continuing education programs to assist professionals in maintaining their professional licenses. The Certificate of Completion for this course indicates the following credits have been earned:
CEU Credits: .2
CPE Credits: 2.4