To be effective in the short and long term, organizations need leaders and individual contributors who can effectively identify and solve problems. The ability to apply practical problem-solving processes that reduce or remove obstacles to change and improvement helps an organization achieve its operational and strategic goals.
Approximate Time to Complete: 1 hour
Problem Solving is appropriate for formal and informal leaders at all levels who want to strengthen their problem-solving skills in order to improve results. This course is also appropriate for individual contributors who want to develop their leadership competencies and for people who are transitioning into a leadership role.
This course will introduce you to the essential techniques of problem solving that apply to all types of situations where there is a variation, deviation, or deficiency from the expected level of performance or results and the cause is not clear. Logically and systematically thinking through and diagnosing the source or root cause of a problem will help you choose an appropriate action and create positive results.
If problems can be resolved with greater accuracy, you can prevent situations from negatively impacting you, your team, and the organization. Organizations whose people are good at solving problems are destined to achieve long-term success.
- Learn how to select the “right” problem to solve.
- Explore how to avoid speculating and making premature assumptions about a problem.
- Discover how to effectively describe the problem and develop an accurate problem profile.
- Learn how to look for patterns, changes, and differences that help sort out the true cause of a problem.
- Understand the importance of taking action on solutions and decisions as well as analyzing the results of implementation.
Resources and Downloadable Tools Included
- Participant Resource Guide
- Learning Plan
- Application Guide
*A continuing education unit (CEU) is a measure used in continuing education programs to assist professionals in maintaining their professional licenses. The Certificate of Completion for this course indicates the following credits have been earned:
CEU Credits: .1
CPE Credits: 1.2