Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is about far more than policies, programs, or headcounts. It is about embracing the unique needs, perspectives, and potential of all team members, customers, and other stakeholders. Organizations that value and demonstrate diversity, equity, and inclusion not only earn greater trust and more commitment from their employees, they are also more likely to survive and thrive in today’s global business environment. This dynamic and informative course provides a learning experience that covers the fundamentals of diversity and practical ways you can actively contribute towards building an inclusive and equitable workplace culture. Completing this course is an essential step you can take in building a long-term commitment to DEI for yourself and in your organization.
Approximate Time to Complete: 90 minutes
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Essentials is appropriate for employees as well as formal and informal leaders at all levels and is applicable for people in businesses, schools, and other types of organizations. The program is ideal for organizations looking for new employee or compliance training related to DEI and serves as a foundation for building DEI practices in the organization.
People often think of diversity as referring to race or gender, but diversity encompasses many things. It includes race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, cultural background, language, sexual orientation, education, and ability, including physical and mental ability. Creating an equitable and inclusive culture is about all of us. It is about how we perceive and navigate the big things and the little things that occur every day in every part of our lives, including in the workplace. This course will help you face the realities and see the critical importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace so you can support the development of a more inclusive culture and become an agent of change. The learning objectives for this self-paced course include the following:
- Discover how a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organizational culture benefits everyone and the
- Learn practical skills that will help you contribute to an inclusive work environment.
- Increase your understanding of and clarify diversity terminology.
- Define conscious and unconscious bias and understand how bias impacts personal and professional
- Learn the common ways people can offend each other.
- Discover six strategies often used for managing interpersonal differences.
- Learn the four types of discrimination in personal, social, and work environments.
- Expand your personal point of view and increase your self-awareness.
People coming together and working in a positive, united way to create an inclusive and equitable organization where diversity is respected can be challenging, but it can also be extremely rewarding. It is up to everyone in the organization to build a culture of respect and inclusivity. As you expand your self-awareness and apply the principles you learn in this course, you will make great personal progress and help your organization be a place where everyone can feel welcome, be included, and do their best work.
Resources and Downloadable Tools Included
- Participant Resource Guide
- Glossary of Terms & Quick Reference Guide
- Application Plan
- Certificate of Course Completion* to save and share on social media
*A continuing education unit (CEU) is a measure used in continuing education programs to assist professionals in maintaining their professional licenses. The Certificate of Completion for this course indicates the following credits have been earned:
CEU Credits: .15
CPE Credits: 1.8